Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Low Dragon - Falun Dafa Parade (Accompanied by guessworkPhotos)

On May 18th, a photographer from guessworkPhotos and I, went into the city together for a leisure street shoot. Initially wandering around in Chinatown, we found ourselves in a Falun Dafa parade/rally staging ground. We ended up sticking around and taking some shots while enjoying the overall atmosphere of the whole ordeal. Below, are the highlights of our journey, with some very nice guest photos attached to the end.

Click on the READ MORE text to see completely irrelevant visual stimuli, and commentary from me.

The start.





I think this image would have turned out a lot better if I waited an extra 2 seconds, and increased my exposure value by just a hair.

Should have increased aperture value, but there wasn't much time before losing their interest.
A quick shot into a open doorway


Preparations.


Peering into the park


I actually didn't expect the focus to lock properly due to the reflection, so I literally balanced myself on one stride and took this quick shot.




At the ready.


A lot of people have commented to me that I should stop taking images of children. Conservatively, I disagree/ (No pedo-shots) I think that children given the right conditions, offer some of the most genuine expressions.





One day I'll get that perfect mixture of smoke and face!







Pretty sure that my images don't really communicate the magnitude and size of this event.


I've taken this shot at least 4-6 times on maybe three other occasions. This was the first time I got the exposure that I [kind of] wanted, without destroying the image with sound or blur. (Handheld)



I actually took a second shot of this one, but with the officer being closer and the angles being different, it just wasn't the same. This is a heavily cropped of a image that looked great in my head.


Couldn't decide between this one or the one before it.

Guest Photos from guessworkPhotos:








"Some of the other 'photographers' at the scene with us." - Norman


"I really love the combination of the blur of the overall scene, and the sharpness/focus of the dragon's head. There's no photoshop trickery here, I watched the cropping of the photo myself! It's probably one of the best shots in this set; I love it." - Norman
"These guys had a lot of commitment and were full of smiles throughout the entire parade." - Norman


"I think this image really captures the festival in a single image. Very cool." - Norman

"They kept going until the very end." - Norman
"And by the very end, one of the dragons shook its head at us." - Norman

2 comments: